Wednesday, November 2, 2016

The Savvy Woman's Guide to Business Travel Essentials

For most of my career, I've worked in jobs where I've had to be on the road a fair amount.  Whether I am meeting customers at a trade show or interacting with colleagues around the globe, business travel is a necessary part of my work.  I've worked hard to make these trips easy, for me and my family and here are some of the things I've obtained that achieve the goal of simplicity.  

Pack it up

Every traveler needs a great suitcase.  I used to skimp on them, carrying a duffle bag or garment bag that didn't really do the job.  It wasn't until I suffered through a two day flight delay at O'Hare airport, lugging a huge duffle from gate to gate, that I realized I was worth it and deserved to have a piece of luggage that didn't break my back.  I decided to get a suitcase on wheels.  I know, so progressive!  Now you can get ones that swivel on 4 wheels instead of two.  My favorite brands areAmerican Tourister and Samsonite.   AT even has a Disney partnership with some great patterns.  Everyone seems to have a black bag, so be different!  Make sure the bag has a sturdy handle.  You'll probably want something that fits in an overhead, so check with your airline to make sure you're not buying something that can only be checked.  Most airlines take bags up to 22" tall, but your mileage may well vary.  

I'm Hungry

Airlines aren't what they used to be, and nowhere is that more evident then when it comes to food service.  You have options of course.  You can spend $15 for some processed food on board, or you can bring your own smelly sandwich and suffer the looks of annoyance from other passengers.  I always find a power bar to be just the thing to get me through long flights while keeping my blood sugar levels healthy.  I make sure to pack a few in my bag to stave off hunger while on the road.  My favorite are the Zone bars, but try a few out and see what you like.  

Bored. Bored. BORED.

Long plane rides, endless delays in airports, nights spent in dingy hotels with crappy cable service.  Sounds like fun, eh?  If I could say that one thing helps with my entertainment factor more than anything else, it would be my iPad mini.  I can read books or magazines, do work (as if), or stream movies and TV shows.  It's lightweight, so it goes in my purse.  You may have a favorite tablet that works for you, which is fine.  Just don't forget it when you hit the road!

Stay hydrated

Probably the most important thing to remember health-wise when you travel is to stay hydrated, inside and out.  Usually, I carry an empty water bottle ( my favorite is a Camelbak) that I refill when I pass through security.  I make sure to drink a bit more than I usually do if I am flying long distances.  I also pack really good night cream to use on the plane and when I land, to keep my skin from looking raisin-like.  I use it during the day, because it's richer than most moisturizers.   It's the little things, you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment